Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Scents

Some things are symbolic, either to a large group or to one person. For example, the golden arches are a symbol for food that is mmmm....and quick to be served. The colors are supposed to make us feel like we are in and out of there faster than we really are. And we have been raised in a society that defines those beautiful golden arches... I personally desire fries fresh out of the fryer and a Sprite when i see the golden arches towering over everything else.

But that's just the example...mmm, McDonald's... sorry back to my point.

We tend to associate sights and smells and textures to certain things, and some things will always remind us of certain things. Lately I have been smelling certain scents that I have only ever associated with one person or place. Yesterday I swore I could smell my great grandmother's house. And this morning if i had closed my eyes i would have expected to hear my great grandma asking me if i wanted Chicken noodle soup. Her kitchen always had a distinguished smell, much like chicken noodle soup. Another thing: the other day I could smell one of my ex's cologne, which freaked me out because just like all these other scents, I knew were merely my imagination. But what could trigger my brain to believe that it smells such things? I was definately not thinking about them. And i was not out and about, i was at home. So why do things like this happen? I have done this many times before. It just made me really sad to smell my grandma's kitchen and know that I'll never be in that same kitchen with her and that entire atmosphere again.

No comments: