Monday, September 13, 2010

Screaming Inside, Ant Wars

Life is crap. More likely, as ma always said, Life's a bitch and then ya die.

So much paperwork to be done, and I am so sick of paperwork. Prove this, prove that, oh you filled out the wrong form, you want this one that is three times as long... oh and we want copies of everyone in your blood line's birth certificates dating back to 500 BC... we don't care if they didn't exist then, you have to have them to complete the form. Figure it out.

That's what it feels like. The mind numbing of race cars and games does not help completely, just slows the pain.

Now that the rains have came back, the ants are back too. I had just enough borax to mix up one healthy bowlful of powdered sugar and borax for them to dine on, such a feast. Just right so they would feed the queen and all die. Alas, for apparantly I did not mix it right. The pressing troops ceased, and a week went by without one scout seen. Then I did something stupid. I made popcorn, and left my cup with butter residue on the counter overnight. I awoke in the morning to a full army bringing the findings back to the queen! At that point, there was only one soldier on my side, me. I killed as many as I could, took care of the one item they wanted, and was amazed they were not choosing to dine on my feast that I still had out for them.

Turned out, ants get sick of sugar and need protein, so it was mixed with peanut butter on a plate. Unfortunately, the last of the borax. And by then, by mixing it again, it would no longer be enough to kill the queen. We tried anyways. It worked, they liked their new meal plan, and we found a few places to block off their entering of the house. That worked for a short amount of time, as they apparantly have many ways to get inside.

Anything left behind was found and consumed. Seemingly, even their dead soldiers. An amazing power that kills is dish soap mixed with water. In a spray bottle. It is lethal to them. On hand at all times of course. Recently we moved anything that could be eaten from to a new area they have not discovered, thankfully - it is obvious where the previous tenants kept certain things. I keep my sugar and cooking oil in a safe place where they apparantly never kept food. A year later, it has never been found by them.

Currently, my kitchen is spotless, I have removed the remaining borax / peanut butter mix, and they have slowly been not coming back. Occasionally I make a mistake and maybe leave behind that same butter cup for popcorn (more than once...) or a shred of cheese all alone on the counter... even once when we had treated our wooden handled knives with oil, they attacked them while they were in the block, clean. Man they love oil. They have stopped the attack on the knives, they have been washed enough times to have lost their appeal.

But for now... I watch closely. This morning I saw two. They were killed in the line of duty. Another thing they hate? Lime juice. So glad we bought some one day, randomly. Haven't ever used it other than the ants. We just both know it is a requirement for a fridge's door. They won't cross the line of lime juice if it is wet still. They run from it, terrified. I know the queen is still out there, alive and hungry, but I will not feed her. I will taint and kill her brood until there are not enough to serve her, perhaps she will die without slaves feeding her.

This concludes my story on Ant Wars.

I really have nothing better to talk about than that. I hate them ants! Otherwise, life goes as follows: barely surviving on unemployment, car is way messed up and hardly drives (but will drive a short very short distance), and as mentioned above, dealing with lots of paperwork. So much paperwork I just wish there were a fast forward button. I don't want to live through this time, I just want to skip it and it to be over.

That is all for now. Until next time~

Gingavitis

No comments: