Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Absinthe

Today I was disappointed.

Very, disappointed.

A very long time ago, I learned of this fancy and special drink, and wanted to try it. Then of course, I learned that it was outlawed in the states and I could not have it. This made me want the drink only so much more, of course.

Now that it is legal again, I had not tried it due to it being very expensive. Until today.

Nobody ever told me that it tasted like licorice. Nobody told me it was like a weak taste of Yeager. That it tasted terrible. Who the hell is sane and likes that flavor?

I recall asking people what the taste was like, and they never told me this, leading me to believe that it was a new flavor all it's own, and I imagined it more like just alcohol tasting. Just almost a vodka-ish with a.....I don't know... green? flavor? The color was green, it must be earthy flavored. Maybe it tasted like dirt with alcohol poured on in. Or grass? I didn't expect that. It actually smelled quite interesting. Smelled fruitful, and not in the 'wine' type of fruitful. It smelled more like food.

And yet when I smell whiskey I suddenly feel very hungry. With this smell I did not feel hungry. I tasted. I assumed that if it tasted bad, I would not go back for more no matter how hard I wanted to like it, so I better take a good big sip. But not so much that I want to spit it all back out.

Down it goes. And open mouth.

And oh my god my throat wants to close off, it is biting unlike whiskey, but still biting. At first it tasted ok. Then as I exhaled again, the taste morphed from interesting and unfamiliar to licorice. And almost a minty refreshing after-bite.

It was still biting. It hurt to swallow. God, was this what it was like the first time I had whiskey? I don't think so, as I recall it was love at first taste with whiskey. It really felt like my throat was closing up, am I allergic to something in it, something I have never had before in my life until now? I am not allergic to anything. I talked myself out of that one. I will not be allergic to anything, never. It just really must be a harsh bite that I am very unfamiliar with.

So gross. I suffered with the taste in my mouth all the way until I got home. If I am ever to like it again some day, I may as well suffer a short time to "savor" the taste and maybe I could like it? Until then, if you out there make some absinthe without the damn licorice flavor, I will give it another go. The boys all told me it was to cover up the nasty bitterness of the wormwood and such, but who's to say I wouldn't prefer that to licorice? Besides, isn't that what the sugar cube is for, to help balance the bitterness?

I guess I won't like everything. Not if it tastes like Yeager, anyways.

So for those of you out there who are/were just as fascinated by this drink and would really like to try it, remember what I have said here. It is closest in flavor to Yeager, yet almost has a refreshing zest to it that is indescribable. As mothers tend to say, you should try everything at least once.

Gingavitis

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would have chased it. I've never tried it, but I plan on trying it now, pocket pints are cheap :)