Saturday, November 28, 2009

Religion in the workplace

That's right... I'm talking about it. I want opinions!!!

A receptionist at work plays a christian radio station all day every day. All customers and visitors are subject to it. Several employees, including myself, are very annoyed by it. We change it to classic rock, which is the most widely accepted as far as we know to listen to, and it always gets changed back.

We downright find it offensive.

Religion should not be in the workplace. We should not have to be preached at from the radio and have to hear it. Or listen to the music.

I've tried looking into the legality of it, but in the end the internet only goes so far for legal questions. I think I need to call a lawyer who would have an answer, I don't have a legal library to my advantage. I just want to know if it should not be acceptable. We can't mention it to the boss until we know if it's inappropriate or not due to the fact that she is ALSO a super christian, and sometimes plays internet radio christian music in her own office.... LOUDLY.

Until then... suffering little gingavitis hides in her cubical. Sometimes the din of the office is loud enough to cover the radio... sometimes not.

Leave comments! I want opinions!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

you could always just go to whoever is playing the music, and say, "hey, could we change the station? I'm sick of hearing the same songs....." or something like that, or just ask if you could change it, because you're "craving" classic rock or something.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just happened to come across you blog and hope by this time your problem with the religious radio person is resolved. If not, here is what I would do. Go to your supervisor and tell him or her that you represent the other employees, (even if you don't), and that you have a problem. Tell them that this person is disrupting the workplace atmosphere and causing antagonism and dissension among the employees. Tell them that some customers have also mentioned it and they find it distracting (even if it's true or not). Remind them that you and the others are there to do a job, and that religion has no place on the workroom floor. If this person is so insecure in her religious convictions that she can't go 8 hrs a day without continual reinforcement, she has a serious problem that you and the others should not have to put up with. Remind your boss that you are there to work and help the company succeed, and that religion and politics should not be part of your work experience. Don't be afraid to speak up. Your boss needs to know if there is anything that is making the workplace less productive. Good luck.

SarahZ said...

Hi Ginga!
Here is my opinion: If the music bothers you, I would take it up as kindly as possible with the gal who is the source. Understanding at the same time, that classic rock, or other, is liable to be bothersome to her and a few others, as well. It seems that loud music, of any kind is gonna get bothersome day after day. If you start the "conversation", be prepared for some kind of compromise, even if it means some of several different types of music, or none.
Personally I would never try to stir up stink with the boss over anything.

Anonymous said...

great

Kristin said...

I came accross your blog and I thought I may be able to help! I'm in a business law class right now and we are constantly referred to the Cornell Law School -
http://www.law.cornell.edu/. I have the same problem you do. I am not religious in a VERY religious area and others do not understand that I don't want to hear "Praise God" all day. I hope it's gotten better for you!